With the temperature starting to fall, London has begun to find some spirit. I don't quite know if it's Christmas Cheer (since you're still guaranteed at least a few grumpy looks), but the city is definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas (well minus the snow).
On one of my days off last week I decided to visit London's famous department store, Harrods. With sections dedicated to Gucci and Armani, it's clearly nowhere I'll be shopping, but it certainly is a must visit while in London.
Taking up almost a full city block, Harrods is hard to miss.
There are several Egyptian Pharoahs throughout the store. I still can't figure out why, but they do add a bit more glamour.
There is even a wax statue of the of the Chairman, Mr. Al Fayed, wishing you an "enjoyable visit to Harrods".
Known for stuffed bears, Harrods is not short on displaying them...and considering they cost a mere $50, who can blame them.
Much like the Bay at the Eaton Centre, Harrods is sparkly and shiny as they try to weasle every last penny out with your holiday shopping. We know it happens...that dim light, happy music, smell of cookies trick they come up with around this time. Most stores do it, but Harrods does it well. Not quite there with the window displays (Selfridges takes the cake there---must remember to take pictures!), but inside is simply...impressive.
Christmas Harrods Style!
I found myself just standing and staring at things. It truly was beautiful and it definitely felt like Christmas.
Harrods at night
So Mat is now on his new (and permanent) ship. In a strange and wonderful twist of fate, he found himself having to spend a night in London while transfering from one ship to the next and his company paid for a hotel room. (note: Travelodge is really very stingy here---only 1 tiny bar of soap and a 10 by 10 room.) In an even bigger twist, I found myself scheduled at a school located just a short walk from his hotel for both the day preceeding and following his hotel night. How wonderful. A 15 hour, high quality visit with my husband and only a 10 minute walk from the school. We really do have good luck.
Apparently Mat's new ship is wonderful. He has his own apartment, complete with a double bed in the bedroom, a living room with a couch and a coffee table, his own fridge and his own washroom...and the best part is...they pay him to stay there. Besides the incredible jealousy that pops up as I look around my exceptionally overpriced room, I am so happy for him. He's said it is the best ship he's worked on (admittedly it's only been a few days), but I do hope he still feels this way in 6 weeks.
Miss everyone and wish you the best
xoxo
Sabrina
1 comment:
Well you two do have some good luck and that's great. Glad to see you are still enjoying yourselves. Isn't Faed Egyptian? I'm not sure. Quite impressive hoop a la for Christmas. I guess everyone everywhere that can afford it get the same Christmas itch. Sharing time would be better.
Have fun, Happy Birthday Mat on the 24th.
Mommy
Post a Comment