Sunday, November 9, 2008

Canada Day with Kelly

Back in London this week and it was a pretty good one. As I've already announced, Mat is working, so I've got a lot of time to myself. Since I only had 1 day of work this week (typical the week before or after a break if you're doing supply work), I spent the week keeping myself busy.


Friday night I went to see a new musical entitled Imagine This. Now the thing that got me about this (besides the fact that it was in previews and so was really cheap) was that it takes place in the Warsaw ghetto and is a love story. How can this be a musical? Turns out it is, and eventhough the critics are trashing it, it's really quite good.



Saturday was the Lord Mayor's Show. Whenever a new Lord Mayor of London is chosen (this happens each year) there is a parade and fireworks (it's an 800 year tradition). This year it was pouring rain, but there was still a good turnout. If you decided to stay inside everytime in rained in London...you would rarely leave. So, like a true Londoner, I put on my ugly as sin raincoat (though they all have umbrellas and very nice coats) and stood in the rain to watch a parade much like any other.



(Not my picture---my battery was dead)



It had a pipe band, soldiers, random community organizations...but unlike any other parade this parade has the Lord Mayor, who most importantly is travelling in the Lord Mayor's Coach (which is 250 years old, and more expensive than the Queen's Coronation Coach).








Sunday, was spent in an unplanned ode to Canada. Kelly Baker and I met up to go to the Remebrance Day service held at the Canada Memorial in Green Park (near Buckingham Palace). Because of a customer alarm on the tube, we were delayed and ended up arriving just as God Save the Queen finished and people started to leave.



I did manage a picture with a Canadian flag at the memorial.





After the missed show, we wandered through London, grabbed a coffee and had some fun...



Kelly had some fun with a British....sheep?



I had some fun with the Invisible Man.




Pretty Cool eh?





I suppose to make up for our lost Canada moment, Kelly showed me the Canada Shop (literally an aisle in a small shop shared with the NewZealand Shop and the Australian Shop), which has food from home that can't be bought here (ie. Kraft Dinner, numerous chocolate bars, Maple Syrup, Fudgee-Os, Maple Beans, Aunt Jemima pancakes and syrup, Swiss Chalet sauce, and Tim Hortons coffee).
Just feel happy knowing that you can buy Nibs for less than $6.


As always, I wish everyone at home the best. Mat says hello. He's been enjoying his time on the Sand Weaver, and will be leaving for the Sand Falcon in a few days, where he'll start his permanent job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great adventure! Keep the pictures coming!
Hope your having a blast!!
Love u!!
Kelly