Friday, June 5, 2009

Catching Up


It's been 10 days since I got back to London, which means that in just 10 days Mat will be back.

WHERE I'M LIVING
This time I booked a hostel near King's Cross/St. Pancras Rail Stations. The area is cute, very central and super convenient to just about everything. I can walk to Oxford St and Leicester Square in 30 minutes!!!! I'm also a 10 minute walk from a tube station with 5 lines.


I discovered a really cute canal system nearby where people hang out and read, or have lunch.

The hostel I'm staying at is called Clink Hostel. It's an old court house and has a lot of character. There is also a 600 person capacity, so I've met a ton of people---to say the least.


This is a former court room, now the tv room.



High security doors and a sign showing the way to the cells (there are actual cells you can stay in...maybe I'll look into that. I'm cool with my bed for now.


WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING
Well it's been a whole 9 weeks since I've lived in London....and I've missed the life of it...not the wet weather though (which luckily, we've only had a few days of).
To get myself back into London I saw a show---a show I've been wanting to see for a while---and a show that was closing in just a few days.
I took myself to Spring Awakening, the hit musical, which is so popular I actually purchased the very last ticket in the entire theatre, which wasn't normally a ticket, since the view was so horrible. Luckily it only cost 5BP (that would be British Pounds, but I can't figure out how to make the sign with my new computer), because I sat on my knees on the floor so I could peer over the railing for most of it. Bad view or not, the show was incredible!! The music was great, the acting was very impressive, and the content was...interesting, some might say shocking! They don't hold back. It's a coming of age, exploring life and all it has to offer in your teens sort of thing. There was a masturbation scene, a love scene with nudity centre stage...and 1 fainting audience member (my favourite part!!!).


I also went to see the new musical, Sister Act, which was in previews (no school the first week I was back, meant a lot of time on my hands.)

The weather was pretty good the first few days I was here. This is a view of Hyde Park on a warm day. I've never seen anything like this in my life...I thought a festival was happening. I can't believe you don't even get personal space in a park. Crazy...and so un-Canadian!


I was there on a Sunday though, and saw Speakers Corner. Basically what happens is that a bunch of people bring themselves to Marble Arch Corner to argue over politics and religion. Someone usually has a ladder, or stand (you know, soap box type stuff) and they have their agenda (usually why Christ is the way) and then people listen, agree, disagree, whatever---they just all make a lot of noise!!
Ridiculously, I also watched Avenue Q and Wicked! again this week (both times with friends who wanted to see them). I went to an I heart 80s and 90s party with Slavi and Daniella---and realized that I didn't actually live in Britain during the 80s and 90s when the internet and Globalization hadn't joined the music scenes. Only 4 songs I knew, but still lots of fun (they did play the theme from Fresh Prince of Bel Air). I went for dinner with Kelly Baker, my sister celebrated her 23rd birthday and I made dinner for Slavi, who I'm so pleased, is not afraid to come and visit me in a hostel.
Once school started I was lucky enough to get a position at a Special Needs school from Tuesday to Friday. I taught a class of 8 Autistic children (1 had Down Syndrome), who are all 4 or 5 years old. There are 3 T.A.s (it's a 2 to 1 ratio). I had a great time, but I've never been so tired in my life. It was also a very different experience from my usual teaching stuff. While I usually go home emotionally exhausted (from trying not to be manipulated, or have a mutiny on my bounty), this time I went home physically tired. These kids are fast...and constantly on the move...usually to anywhere you don't want them to go. I changed diapers, monitored feedings (and fed some), got drooled on and even spit on, but I also got kissed and hugged, and got to see amazing kids do amazing things!

That's basically what I've been up to since getting back.
This post, however would not be complete without the mention of the coolest day this year---our 1 year anniversary!!!! 365 days ago, Mat and I were married in the greatest wedding ever to happen in Tay Township. My husband, who is completely perfect in everyway that matters to me, sent me the most gorgeous bouquet of roses. They were delivered to my hostel, where the staff made a perfect size deal about the whole thing. Unfortunately there isn't anywhere to put them, other than behind my bag, but atleast I get to see them from there. Hopefully they'll survive 10 days, so he can see in person how great they are.


Here is everything I own in London. My pack, and the bouquet of anniversary roses. 12 roses, for 12 months??? I wonder what happens in 10 years.



Thanks to everyone who had a hand in our wedding. That day remains the greatest day of our lives (I'm speaking on his behalf with that one---but I know it to be true). I still can't believe how helpful you all were: throwing showers and bachelorette parties, dress shopping, hair doing, making invitations, baking cookies and cakes, throwing pool parties/bbqs, setting up chairs, buying decorations to decorate on the same day, finding the rings, building bridges of skids and plywood, coming from other cities/provinces/countries, writing amazing speeches, taking fabulous pictures, dancing even after your shoes came off...and simply giving us all of the love and support you have...that day and this year, as you always have.


Thank you!!!!
We love you all.
XOXOXO

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! Wedding memories are great! We all had a blast! Skids for a bridge lmao!

I hope you've had a blast with the kindergarten kiddies! Way different then school-age huh..?


Love u lots!!
Kelly and Scott

xxooxxoo

Thanks for the text message Mat..! :)

Stay safe and away from Pirates! :) hahaha

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. Glad you settled right back into the swing of things.
How many more shows can you see in London again?
Well I wish you and Mat at least a 100 more happy year together.

Love and miss you both
Mom