Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Queen's Birthday Parade!!!

Saturday, June 13th, the Pall Mall was filled with people waiting to get a glimpse of the Queen during her birthday celebration. It's known as Trooping the Colour. A parade leaves Buckingham Palace and travels down the Pall Mall to the Horse Guards, where the guards are inspected (I assume they also do something), before everone returns to Buckingham to view the flyover at 1pm. With the chance to see royalty, I wasn't about to spend my time anywhere but on the Mall...so that's what I did.
This is what I saw:
The Mall lined with flags and guards (that's Buckingham at the end of the road)








This carriage has Camilla, Prince William (beside her) and Prince Harry across from her.



Prince Harry





Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth II





Princess Anne is the one on the left, but by the time I figured it out, she was already going passed.







After the parade I went to Piccadilly to meet Slavi, so I witnessed the flyover (at least 4 groups of 3 planes) and the final flyover, which coloured the sky red, white and blue.








As if seeing the Queen weren't cool enough for one day, Slavi and I witnessed a very interesting sight on Oxford Street...Ride Bare for Clean Air. Hundreds of naked cyclists riding down London's busiest street! Bizarre!






Then to finish our amazing day, we went to see one of London's hottest shows, Priscilla: Queen of the desert.





Me with my pre-show dinner.
A FABulous show, for a FABulous day!
And the best part is, there are just 4 more sleeps until Mat gets home!

2 comments:

JessLikesStuff said...

Cool! Naked cyclists and musical theatre. Oh, and the Queen. Love keeping up to date with you. Thanks for calling today, sorry I couldn't chat longer. We found a great couch at IKEA but it's out of stock, so we're waiting. We found other stuff but we need to go measure the house more carefullybefore we buy.

Talk to you soon! Keep posting and taking photos.

Anonymous said...

Royalty and naked people all in one day, WOW.
Show after show, what will you do when you get home and there or only 5 -10 theatres to go to. Toronto will seem boring after all of that.
Well Mat will be with you very soon and you can celebrate your anniversary properly.
Enjoy your time together.

Love and miss you both
Mom